Saturday, July 7, 2007

Artist Statement


"Blind contours are filled with content. They capture one’s honest and uninterrupted perceptual concentration. I am fascinated by their candid qualities, and drawn in by their truth. Little is imposed on them; there are hardly any intentions of style, and no indications of preconception. They are beautifully unique to each individual and embody the real and unforced spirit of visual interpretation.

I choose to use blind contours as a foundation for many of my works because they best record a moment that I am actually seeing and being a part of. I find a closer connection and a more natural relationship with these drawings, and love to bring them into other levels. It's almost as if I'm doing a collaboration with myself, between my conscious and unconscious, though which is more conscious is still unclear to me."

This was the statement I turned in for the faculty Pre-college show, along with my giant Michelle piece.

I had a lot of people tell me they liked it (and some that said it was their favorite), and that they really enjoyed my statement. That was pleasing to hear, really pleasing to hear. I wasn't sure how it would blow over, but I got an incredible amount of positive feedback. Earlier in the day Aaron Board, one of our precollege teachers, who does amazing figurative work (with lots of interesting ideas and concepts involved), came up to me and told me that he really liked my peice, and actually liked just everything about it. That was super awesome to hear, especially coming from him.

No comments: