Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Where do you get your information from?"




This was a project for my conceptual practices class. We were asked "where do you get your information from?" and were told to make a piece that answers the question.





My answer was through encounter, and by encounter ultimately experience. I didn't want to create a piece about a specific circumstance, that would be too limited, therefore I strove to create a piece that really could be anything, and really capitalize on the process of producing "just anything".




I used a real number randomizer that uses atmospheric noise to generate numbers, and applied those numbers to different numbered objects. I picked and numbered 300 objects, but only used 100 of them. I let the randomizer choose 100 numbers between 1-300, and then picked those objects to be used and applied in my process. I also took 100+ verbs from different sources and randomized them, aswell as 100+ adverbs from different sources and randomized those. I then took the time frame of 4 hours and had time intervals of twos randomized, and put them all together in the chart above. After all this was organized I performed and recorded 50 of the above acts.

These were some of the objects I chose..



For the final display i put my video of my process where the actions took place and played it on loop. I set all the extra objects back on the table, and left the not-yet acted objects in line of order leading into the space I used. I thought having the video play in the room was a good idea, because it lets people know that this is the focus of the piece and something they should take note of.




some of the objects in the bathroom
a ceiling tile..





I wanted to show as much of process as possible, with many hints along the way. On the object table i set out the "object key", and by the monitor I had my used and marked list of actions.

I'll post the full video with the entire process of numbering and choosing once it's done uploading. You'll also see Sarah Valdez through most of it, because she helped me execute at least 50% of this huge project.

1 comment:

Spec of sawdust said...

thanks for mentioning me helping out. It was an experience the time spent, helping you with the project.